Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Rock Bite - Kaijudo - Process

Today I have for you the process and steps that went into the last of my paintings that I created for the now cancelled game, Kaijudo. The painting I will be talking about today was to be a new version of an already existing card depicting what happens when the ground has had enough of your crap... it was also never released before the game was cancelled. Here is the final painting for Rock Bite...

"Rock Bite"
Kaijudo - Unreleased
11.3 x 9 - Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

This piece was extremely straight forward. It was a redesign of an existing card, so a look and feel was established and production was very clear on how they wanted to update and change it. They provided lots of reference and the art order spelled it out perfectly. I got to work on some thumbnails and hoped that I hit all the point as well as adding some of my own voice to the mix. Here are how the thumbnails for Rock Bite turned out...

Rock Bite - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Thumbnail "B" was the winner. I could have sworn that the art order specified no Beast-Kin falling into the rock mouth, nevertheless I was asked to do so moving forward into the final drawing. Part of the art order requested that there not be a face in the ground, just a mouth, but I found myself slowly working one in anyway. Not sure if it obvious to anyone but me, but there is one in there, albeit subtle. Here is how the final drawing for Rock Bite turned out...

Rock Bite
12 x 9 - Pencil on paper
Original for sale over on my web store!
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The drawing was approved without comment and I was ready to move onto the final painting. This may have been my second painting for Kaijudo, but it was by far the easiest. This one, more then 99% of my other piece, felt like it painted itself. Not sure if it was the subject matter, the fact that piece was mostly rocks and lava, or something else entirely. It was just a really quick and easy paint. Which is nice to have happen! Here is a look at Rock Bite taking shape, I know that a lot of the last steps look alike, but there is stuff happening in there...

Rock Bite - Process Progression
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The only comment after the piece was turned in was that the Beast-Kin's uniforms needed to be another color. I forget the reasoning now, but it had something to do with team colors in the game I think. It was a little awkward since the color they needed to go to was a color similar to the overall palette of the piece. But you gotta make that change! While we are talking Beast-Kin, that one in the bottom corner with both arms up was a favorite of the art director and definitely made him laugh. Too bad it would be almost unreadable at final card size. Here is an animated process progression to better show you the steps and the more subtle changes at the end...

Rock Bite - Animated Process
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

And that is that... I have now shared with you all the process and steps for my work on Kaijudo. Like many games it was cancelled far too soon. But that is the way of things. It was sure fun while it lasted! If you would like to see all my posts about Kaijudo, you can see them all HERE!

Once again here is the final painting for Rock Bite, my unreleased painting for Kaijudo...

"Rock Bite"
Kaijudo - Unreleased
11.3 x 9 - Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment