Wednesday, May 28, 2014

AGoT - A Hidden Agenda - Viserion Process

And then there was only Viserion... Back in January I shared with you my updated versions of Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal. Last, but not least, today I have for you the process and steps that went into making Viserion. So that we are all on the same page, here is how the final version of Viserion from A Hidden Agenda turned out...

Viserion - A Hidden Agenda
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

Mentioned now twice before, I worked on the initial thumbnails for all three dragons all at the same time. Here is how those original thumbnails turned out...

Dragon thumbnails
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

Viserion needed a little additional attention after the initial thumbnail to get everything working. In no time though all was right as rain and the third and final thumbnail was ready for submission...

Viserion - Thumbnail
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

Viserion was approved and it was time to get drawing on this last dragon. I worked on all of them at the same time up until it was time to paint them. I drew them and painted them in the order I have shared them to you here on the blog. ...which was also the order in which I painted the original set of the three dragons back in 2010. I am a creature of habit and are only mindful of superstitions while painting. Here is how the Viserion drawing turned out...

Viserion - Drawing
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

I had two dragon paintings already done and was on the home stretch when it came to painting Viserion. Of the three, Viserion was the most straightforward and low stress to work on. The biggest challenge was to work out the crepuscular lighting. By the time I was working about the light rays the painting was done and it was just a matter of playing around to figure out what worked right. Here is Viserion coming together in 12 easy steps...

Viserion - Progression steps
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

From my interactions with people this seems to be the favorite for the majority of them. I make no judgement call over this, I just find it interesting. I can never predict what people are going to like or not like. Most of the time I pick the completely opposite choice. Oh well... Here is an animated gif of the Viserion painting coming together so you can see how it came about and what changed...

Viserion - Process progression animation
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

And so concluded all the time and work that went into painting the three Game of Thrones dragons for the card game. RAWR! Again, here is how the final piece turned out as well as the final production card...

Viserion - A Hidden Agenda
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games
Viserion in handy dandy card form

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment