Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Abyssal Chicken - Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus: Process

Last year I had the super fun opportunity to paint the Abyssal Chicken for the Dungeon and Dragons release of Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus. When I first reviewed the book's style guide, this monster really stood out to me, and to honest, there was a secret hope that I would be assigned it. Through my devotion to the art gods, I was lucky enough to get the Abyssal Chicken assignment. I had prepared to do more work for this book, but there were some pieces eliminated from the project before the art orders going out. This left me with only the chicken and a previously created painting making a second appearance.

Today I have for you the process and steps that went into painting the Abyssal Chicken. It was an extremely straightforward and easy assignment, which is always appreciated. I was starting with a great concept design, and it was a monster almost perfectly suited to my tastes. To start things off, here is the final painting of the Abyssal Chicken.

Abyssal Chicken
Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

While I always start with a reference shoot for my work, it was not necessarily applicable in this situation. I could have made a maquette, but I was provided a great selection of concept drawings that provided a bunch of different views and action shots of the chicken that gave me more than enough information to create some thumbnails. Here are the thumbnails that I submitted.

Abyssal Chicken - Thumbnails
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

If I remember correctly, all of the thumbnails were approved. They loved them all, and I think I was given the freedom to choose the one I wanted to do, but they were leaning heavily on option C. Needless to say if they were leaning towards an option, I picked it. Now that I had an approved thumbnail, it was time to work on the final drawing.

Abyssal Chicken - Drawing
Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Original - SOLD
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As with the thumbnails, the drawing was approved without issue. At this point, I was ready to work on the painting, but something unexpected came up. Production wanted to use my unused thumbnails as supplemental art like what was done in the Monster Manuel. Details and alternate views were used to spice up and add interest around the monster entries in the MM, and I guess they wanted to do the same in this book. I was not really comfortable with my quickly sketched thumbnails being used in a book, so I offered to provide them with a more rendered version of my second favorite thumbnail. It was a quick piece of work and would result in an additional drawing to sell and provide with a better looking product. I am not sure it ever got used, but never the less, here it is.

Abyssal Chicken - Suplimental drawing
Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Original - SOLD
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Now it was time to paint! Like I said, this one came together very quickly and easily. No road bumps, no issues, simply painting a fleshy hell chicken. Here is the painting coming together for your viewing pleasure.

Abyssal Chicken - Painting process
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

And without much fanfare and no issues, the paint was approved and sent off to production. They can't all be this easy, but when they are, it is appreciated. Here again, is the final painting for the Abyssal Chicken in all its chickeny glory.

Abyssal Chicken
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

That's all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment