Friday, February 10, 2023

Arkham Horror: The Labryunths of Lunacy - The Return of the Faceless Abductor

I recently noticed that an old piece I created for the Call of Cthulhu card game expansion, Silver Twilight Lodge, had made a return appearance. And when I say old, I mean over a decade. This piece was originally released in 2011, so I likely painted it in 2010. For a painting this old I still like it a great deal, and I know I was figuring out a lot with this piece. I produced this piece at a formative time when my skill set was advancing rapidly. While it might not look like it now, this was a piece at the cusp of my abilities. It was not met with much enthusiasm either. I believe this image received two 'likes' on Facebook at the time, and one of those was me. For many reasons, it is nice to see this piece pop back up. Maybe, just maybe, this time around, it will get some love. For its return, the card was included in a new Arkham Horror card game expansion, The Labyrinth of Lunacy. To start things off, here is a look at the front of the box for this new expansion.

The Labyrinth of Lunacy, an Arkham Horror card game expansion

This piece was called initially Nightgaunt, as that is the type of monster it is. When it was released, it was given the title Faceless Abductor which I am sure made more sense in gaming terms and added more spice to the game. No matter; it is nice to see this one come back around for a second look at the world. Here is the final art for the Faceless Abductor, as it was in 2011 and in 2022.

Faceless Abductor
Silver Twilight Lodge - Call of Cthulhu Card Game
(and now The Labyrinth of Lunacy - Arkham Horror Card Game)
9.3 x 6.9 - Digital
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

Lastly, here is the new card for the Faceless Abductor. As I never played either the Call of Cthulhu or Arkham Horror card games, I do not know if the monster stats are different or how different the game mechanics are for their monsters. Either way, here is the new card in all its glory. RAWR!

Faceless Abductor in new handy dandy card form

That is all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment