Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Pensacon 2022 Recap - There and Back Again

At Pensacon 2020, we launched the Kickstarter for The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. It was funded quickly, and there was much celebration. Then the world fell apart. The book was still funded in 2020 and missed the release date by a week or two, even with the chaos. Now, two years later, I returned to Pensacon with the books, prints, original art, and much more. I didn't know what to expect. Deep down, I braced myself for a diminished con experience as I introduced people to the Grand Bazaar and reestablished myself as a creator. The days of Yoda prints and dragon playmats are gone, and the time of the Grand Bazaar is now.

I have never been so wrong about so much. Not only was this the best Pensacon that I have ever had, but it was also one of the most successful conventions that I have ever had. And save for two D&D drawings and a few Magic the Gathering artist proofs, it was ALL the Grand Bazaar. I didn't imagine selling any deluxe editions of the book and sold all eight that I brought. I assumed I would sell no prints and sold out of the copies for one of them. I knew that I would never sell any of the original art from the book, and I sold a couple of pieces. The book was a success. The coloring book was a success. The stats guide was a success. I do not know what this means for me at future cons, but I am invigorated, excited, and ready to begin sharing the Grand Bazaar with everyone.

I debuted the book at IX this past October, but IX is a different type of event. The Grand Bazaar was well received, but the focus was the art. Pensacon was the first time to bring the book and world before a comic con attendance. I was not prepared. People were eager to learn about my world. People were buying books without looking at them. I am still trying to get my head around it all. It was indeed an amazing and humbling experience. I want to say more, but I still haven't found the words. My heartfelt thanks go out to everyone that came to my booth, my con friends and family - both old and new, and the staff, volunteers, and everyone associated with Penacon for making this such a fantastic weekend and experience.

Due to how busy I was, I didn't have the chance to talk too many photos, but here are some images that I did take.

 
When the badge is in hand, I know Pensacon has started.

 
The Grand Bazaar has arrived at Pensacon. Each time we set up the GB, we learn a little more and tweak it to make it better. I came home with a list of things I plan to address before the next event so that it will be even better. 

 
The calm before the storm.

 
I was a part of three fantastic panels. One was a drawing competition where we drew live alone and as teams again other artists. We would only be allowed two to three minutes to draw. The first image was my drawing, and the other two are the team's results. Those in the audience got to keep the drawings.  

 
I have never seen Pensacon so packed, and they indeed broke all attendance records for the convention.

 
Got to meet another space monster and added a figure to my collection.

Lastly, a massive thanks to Lemmie Crews, who is a fantastic human and a joy to know, for this fabulous fetish that he made. It is now in the studio doing its thing!

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here next time. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment