Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Line Up Droid Model Animation Cell

Something a little different today on the blog, I have mentioned that I possess an extensive Star Wars collection. The collection has been used as a reference during my work on the Star Wars game properties. Beyond that, it was enjoyable to collect, and I have a small part of it on permeate display at my day job office and in our library at the house. I no longer collect, but from time to time, a piece crosses my path that I can not say no to. Today, I am sharing such a piece that I was able to be at the right place at the right time to acquire. 

 
 Line Up Droid Model Animation Cell circa 1985

This is an model animation cell from the 1985 Droids Animated Series. It consists of a sheet of paper with photocopied line work and notes, a hand painted aniamtion cell that is stapled to the paper, and various production notes in pen and sharpie. While this is, in and of itself, a very unique item, for me, it has a connection to the Mandolorian series. 

While it would be hard to prove, either way, I am reasonably confident that this idea and the initial design was the starting point for the ferry droid seen in the final episode of the first season of Mandolorian. It is known that Dave Filoni had a long history of pulling from the long history of obscure creations and unused concepts in the Star Wars universe. I am sure Filoni is more than versed with the original Star Wars animated series, and when the time came, he pulled this concept into modern productions.  

No matter the history and current life of this idea, I am pleased to own it and will be framing it for display once the pandemic has ebbed. Here is a selection of images of the model cell.

 
Line Up Droid Model Animation Cell closeups

That's all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment