Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Lord Mashugana (Shug) Nute, Sovereign of the Nine Couches, Emancipator of the Pork Chickens, and Eater of Tacos

In late 2013 we lost our elder statesman at the age of 20. Before I ever knew him, he had been a friend to my wife for many years. I was lucky enough to know him the majority of his long life that encluded adventure, travel, and the quest for tasty, tasty food. He possessed the keenest of intelligence and an almost human spirit and the capacity for deep empathy.

For the winter solstice I presented my wife this image of Shug. It was a piece I have been wanting to create for six years, but I was not ready or able to make it until now. Achsa confirmed that if it had arrived any sooner then now it most likely would have never been hung in the house. The pain of his loss was still to present. It was challenging to work on this without her knowing, but I was able to keep it a surprise. Please, note that his medals are all foods that he was able to best in the quest to eat all the things. Here is my portrait of Shug.

Lord Mashugana (Shug) Nute, Sovereign of the Nine Couches, Emancipator of the Pork Chickens, and Eater of Tacos
9 x 12 - Pencil, acrylic paint and ink on paper
NFS
 © 2019 Christopher Burdett

As I said, I have wanted to create this image for six years. While the presentation was not new six years ago, I found it funny that this year many services and companies seem to have popped up to sell photo manipulated portraits of people's animals on the bodies of humans, usually in military or Victorian attire.  I guess I was a little ahead of things, but I didn't get around to it until it had become mainstream. At least mine is an original drawing. Here it is framed.

I wanted a proper frame that fit the look and feel for the piece and I think I found it.

Please know that this is a unique piece, and I am not open to these types of commission,s nor will I draw anyone else's pet. This is a service I retain for my wife and the memory of those unique animals that share their lives with us.

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here tomorrow or Friday. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment