Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Illuxcon 2017 - Part 1

Another amazing and AWESOME Illuxcon has come and gone. This year was the tenth IX and I was so happy to be able to attend. I feel like I have always been a part of IX, but in fact I missed the very first year (I learned about IX after the first one was already over) and I had to drop out of attending one a few years back due to family issues. Eight Illuxcons is not to bad when you think about it, and I treasure each one. After being in the Main Show last year I decided I needed a break and went with being part of the Showcase which allowed me to once again attend IX and get the most out of the workshops, panels, discussions, and socializing. I absolutely LOVED being a part of the Main Show last year and the Weekend Salon the year before that, but it was really exciting to be once again being able to be at IX as an attendee and to take it all the opportunities to learn and to be free to look at the all art and catch up with so many great friends. I am still processing my time at IX2017, which is some of the reason these posts are so late. Every year I find myself at a different place in my life, at a different place in my career, and at a different place in how I see my art, which in turn means I interact with IX in different ways. I get something different out of it every time and, of course, seem to get just what I needed each time. Funny how that works.

This time around I am splitting up my posts about Illuxcon 2017 a little differently. Each post will be about a different part of my experiences with IX this year. Hopefully it is obvious that this one is more of an overview of my experiences and thoughts about another IX. I will also be doing a post about my time in the Showcase, a post about the urban sketching workshop I took part in, and finally a post about our visit to Crystal Cave after IX... it was cool and I would share the images from there no matter what. Also, don't forget about the Burdetticorn shirts!

After eight Illuxcons I still can't truly put my finger on what it is about IX that makes it so very special... well, I have my hunches, but it seems like when people have tried to duplicate it, it has not worked the same. There is an energy and excitement that is just so contagious about IX. No matter the venue, since IX is now it its third home, it follows it and seem to increase with every move. I don't necessarily leave Gen Con wanting to make more art feeling revived and energized, but I sure do when I leave IX. Every year I say it and I will say it again, if you are an artist, student, or someone that loves imaginative realism you need to get to IX. There is so much amazing art and nothing but time to talk about art, learn about art, and meet and interact with some truly amazing people. Patrick and Jeannie Wilshire have created a magical and amazing event and my yammering on this blog will never do it justice.

Here are some images and memories from Illuxcon 2017...

I always love a good gratuitous image out the window of a plane.
Almost to IX!

We fly into Allentown, which I HIGHLY recommend, and drive 30 minutes to Reading.
Fun fact, Allentown is where Peeps are made. There is a lot of fun things to do between Reading and Allentown, so if you are like us and like to build in some time at the beginning or end of a trip there are many things to check out before leaving Pennsylvania.

Another beautiful piece by Tom Kuebler!

Iris Compiet brought along a couple of here sculpted faeries to IX.

I love the presentation of this one so much!

A view of the second floor gallery space.

The fourth floor was rocking some amazing art this year!

Ralph Horsley got in some painting at his table while in the Main Show this year.

The Kickstarter panel by Jon Schindehette and Margot Atwell was extremely informative.

A peek at what Ralph Horsley is working on.

Huge pumpkins were huge.

This piece by Tom Kuebler really caught my eye.

Seth Polansky had a great panel on intellectual property!

Another image from the fourth floor...

...and another...

...and another.

Back to the second floor!

All good things come to an end and it was time to pack it all up.

 To be honest I did not miss having to pack up all my art in all the boxes at the end of the show like last year.

The last night saw the appearance of some very comfortable monsters, RAWR!

End things with another image out the window of a plane.

Tomorrow I will share some images and thoughts from the Showcase!

That is all for another exciting Tuesday on the blog, see you back here tomorrow! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment