Friday, June 30, 2017

Looking Back: Blind Envoy - Draemblade

Today I am looking back at another Dreamblade miniature design that I have never shared before here on the blog. We are coming to the end of those designs, only one or two more. Here is the design for the Blind Envoy which was part of the third expansion set to Dreamblade, Anvilborn, released back in 2007...

Blind Envoy
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper
© 2006 Wizards of the Coast LLC

This was a companion piece to another miniature released in same set. I worked on both and was asked to give them some similar attributes. The Zungar Envoy shares the big crazy staff with the eye at its top as well as the motif of the figure being blindfolded, or in this case, blind. Production asked for the figure to look quasi military with some eastern influences. Something that felt old but new as well. I very nearly nailed it on the first attempt. I still was drawing from me head a little too much on things I didn't need to, like the cape, and I was asked to reign it in and make it more realistic. Due to safety concerns I was asked to adjust the feather so it was less of a sharp point on the top if his head and finally the cracks at the base of the staff needed some attention. Here is a look at the version of the Bling Envoy...

Blind Envoy - Original
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper
© 2006 Wizards of the Coast LLC

With an approved front view I was given the go ahead to do the rest of the turnaround. Here is the entire design for the Blind Envoy miniature...

Blind Envoy Turnaround
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2006 Wizards of the Coast LLC

When I was originally working on these I often could not get my head around how these would turn out and if I was giving them what they needed. Now, having created so many miniature designs I have a really good understanding for the limitations and possibilities when it comes to designing something so small. It needs to instantly read from the table top and be unique and dynamic. Paint schemes help with this too and many of the Dreamblade miniatures had bold single color paint work with just a few accents... like the Blind Envoy. Here is how the production miniature turned out for this one... 

Blind Envoy Miniature

That's all for another exciting week on the blog, Tuesday is a holiday so it is a long weekend, see you back here on Wednesday!  Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment