Thursday, January 12, 2017

In Memoriam, Nicholas Rich

My friend Nicholas Rich passed away this week. If you were fortunate enough to know Nick, you will know what an amazing and kind human being he was. Nick was just so damn nice. I certainly did not know him as well as I had liked and I did not see him as often as I should, but we all live forever and there will always be more time. Until there isn't. Nick left us far too soon and left far too many people behind. Believe me when I say that Nick was one of the best of us... humble, kind, thoughtful and giving. It pains me to no end to be writing this. I can not help but think of his family and the hole his passing has caused in their lives and in so many others. BUT, we had the chance to know Nick and we had the gift of having him in our lives.

Nick was also an artist. Though he would constantly be self depreciating and dismissive of his work, I always enjoyed it and was happy to see what he was working on. He dreamed of working more in the fantasy side of things and I am pretty sure he wanted to work on games. I tried to help him as best I could with his work, but there is never enough time and things don't always work out the way you think they will. I want to share with you some of his work. You can't know the man by looking at his art, but hopefully you can see a little into his mind and appreciate his voice.

All images are copyright Nicholas Rich
This last image we are fortunate enough to own and is part of our collection
If you would like to see more of Nick's work you can see it HERE

Nick was a model for a couple of my pieces back in 2012. One was for Dungeons & Dragons and the other was for my 2012 Illustration Master Class assignment that unfortunately was never completed. Always really liked both of these pieces and they mean a little more to me now. No one will know it is Nick, but hopefully I have given him a little immortality through D&D.

Slaves of the Oba
Digital
Dragon magazine #414
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

Illustration Master Class 2012 concept
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment:

  1. Christopher, I sent you a PM on FB. Thank you for writing such a beautiful article about my brother. Means the world to me,and my family. I will make aureus to share it at the service we have for him. Thank you so much for giving him work.
    Thank you,
    Nichole

    ReplyDelete