Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Lava Burst - Kaijudo - Process

Today I have for you the process and steps that went into one of my paintings that I created for the now cancelled game, Kaijudo. While I only worked on the game a short time it was a lot of fun and I was sad to see it go. The painting I will be talking about today depicts a giant robot exploding and throwing lava everywhere, including onto an enemy base, after it fell into said lava. Here is the final painting for Lava Burst...

"Lava Burst"
Kaijudo - Vortex
11.3 x 9 - Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

This was a weird one. There needed to be a lot going on - robot falling into lava, exploding robot, lava spraying out the back of the robot, lava hitting and destroying enemy base... and it all had to be clear and small on a card. Really was a a tough one to get my head around. After some thinking and scribbling I got to work on some thumbnails. Here are how the thumbnails turned out...

Lava Burst - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Looking at these now they are still all over the place. Explosions, lava, giant forms... what a mess. Not sure how the art director saw through all this to pick one. The winner was "C" and for me it was just a good as any of the others. I got to work on the final drawing...

Lava Burst
Kaijudo
12 x 9 - Pencil on paper
Original for sale over on my web store!
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The drawing was approved and now I had to make this thing read in color. No worries. In just twelve easy steps the painting came together... or not. To be honest I was not necessarily thrilled about making this one work. I knew if was going to be a tough one. No good worrying about it, just need to dive in and get the painting done. Here is a look at the painting coming together...

Lava Burst - Process Progression
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The real challenge with this piece was controlling the values and making sure the different planes of action were clear. That involved making sure the lava was distinct an separate and that the robot in the foreground was clear and stood out. The same went for the enemy base monster thing in the background. Those familiar with the game should recognize it for what it is even though average person may not. You will notice as the piece came to life that I did a lot with the lava, I got rid of some while making other areas of it more interesting and dynamic. I also pushed and pull the lava's value and color to make sure that there was depth in the spray. Was I successful? Time will tell. Here is an animated progression of the piece to better show the piece coming together...

Lava Burst - Animated Process
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Here again is the final painting for Lava Burst and the card form of the art. There was a bit of cropping on the final card, but that happens. I think it reads well enough and gets the point across. 
"Lava Burst"
Kaijudo - Vortex
11.3 x 9 - Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Lava Burst in handy dandy card form (and don't forget the artist proofs!)

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment