Friday, January 7, 2011

Books of resourse and reference

First, I want to thank everyone that took the time to read and comment on my blog post on Wednesday about getting MORE serious. Thanks so much for the kind words and I am just glad to hear that it is relevant to so many! There was a question asked about some more information about reference and how I use it. I will be addressing this very soon on the blog, I just will need a little time to get my thoughts together.

A short time ago I was asked here on the blog what books I use for reference in my work. I thought to do one better, I have for you today the books I use for reference, as a learning resource and for enjoyment / encouragement.

Natural History (Smithsonian)
This is one of my newest additions and it is AMAZING! Loads of great photos of rock, plants, insects, fish, birds and mammals - as well as everything in between. There are many double spreads were a single animal will have closeups and detail photos from all over it's body.

An Atlas of Animal Anatomy for Artists
A must have for anyone doing creature work. Very informative with a really good selection of animals. I you need to see how an animal is put together this is the book for you. A great resource for bones and muscles.

Animal Anatomy for Artists: The Elements of Form
On par with the above book. A bigger selection of animals at a bigger price. I have both because that is the kind of consumer I am...

Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist by James Gurney
If you don't know who James Gurney is, stop right now and go look him up. He is a font of knowledge and this book should be mandatory for anyone working in the illustration industry. If you don't have it go ahead and just go buy it, you will thank me later.

Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney
I am currently reading this one. Very informative to say the least. If you want to understand color and light better this is a good place to start. I will say again, this book should be mandatory for anyone working in the illustration industry. If you don't have it go ahead and just go buy it, you will thank me later.

Encyclopedia of Reptiles and Amphibians
Encyclopedia of Fishes
Encyclopedia of Mammals
Oldies but goodies, these three have seen me through a lot and I still look through them. They are filled with many great photos of animals that are a good starting point for any creature project. My new Smithsonian Natural History book might eventually push these off my go to stack, but for now they are still very useful.

And now for fun and encouragement...
OMK and From Pencils to Inks by Mark A Nelson
The Marquis by Guy Davis
Mas Creaturas: Monstruo Addendum by Carlos Huante
Aggregate: The Art of Steve Prescott
Monstruo: The Art of Carlos Huante
Planet to Planet: Creatures and Strange Worlds by Mike Corriero
Some of these are new and some of these I have had for a long time, but they are all artist and images that interest me. Looking at these artist's work can really get my own ideas flowing. If you are unfamiliar with any of these artists or their work I would suggest you taking the time to go and look them up!

That is all for today and the week... the first week of the new year is down, 51 more to go. See you back here next week and until then, happy reading!

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the leads on good reference books!

    ReplyDelete