Monday, October 25, 2010

My life as a crappy artist - Frotor Demon

You of course remember the Frotor Demon from episode 14, Release, from season 4 of Angel, right? Any good Angel fan would, right? I barely recall this demon and I designed it. So that everyone is on the same page, this is the Frotor Demon...

RAWR! I'm the Frotor Demon and I couldn't be bothered to open my eyes for this photo! We see the Frotor Demon here in it's natural environment, in the shadows of a sound stage. This photo does lead to the question of why do demons wear human clothes? Not to blend in surely...

I decided it was time to take back another of the the demons that I designed while working on the Joss Whedon opuses. This time around I went for the peely fish hook headed rhino nosed demon simply called Frotor. Time to get the hard part out of the way... here is my original design for the Frotor Demon from 2003...

Oh well... at least I think I have gotten better. Yet again I somehow thought a solid box of value behind it's head would make it better...
© 2003 Almost Human

The whole idea behind this guy is that he was going to have his head slammed into a bar top to 'jar his memory' and get much needed info to move the plot of the story along. This required a lot of padding in the makeup to allow for some realistic impacts with the actor. It also meant that one of his horns needed to be gone so that he can hit with the side of head and still talk. Beyond all that we had full reign and the above design was all I could come up with. With the original design as a starting point I reworked it and came up with something... newer...

Taking the Frotor Demon back!
© 2010 Christopher Burdett

This time around he ended up a lot more beefy. But beefy allows for padding and allows for good impacts... right? Not sure if this is a better design, I think it is a better drawing at least. I am happier with it and that is all that matters. Hopefully the horn appears to move forward in the new design since I was unable to convey that the horn was moving forward and not straight out the side of the head in the original. Another fun exercise!

I will leave you with another photo of the Frotor Demon. You might notice the paint on his face and neck are peeling and flaking. Funny story about that... but it will have to wait for another time. If you run into me, feel free to ask me about it...

RAWR! I am the demon that peels! ...and won't open my eyes for the photos even though I asked nicely...

Another start to an exciting week. Lots going on and lots about to happen! Illuxcon is right around the corner and new projects are being released as we speak. Stay tuned, lot to share with you in the coming weeks! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment