Friday, July 16, 2021

Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures - Fire Bat

Recently finding the Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures release of the Eidolon and Aarakocra alerted me to many miniatures based on my designs and illustrations that I was completely unaware of. Next up, I have for you a miniature based on my design for the Fire Bat that I updated for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons. This is not the first time this design has been turned into a mini, but this version is superior. To start things off, here is the final design for the Fire Bat.

Fire Bat - Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual - Redesign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures release of the Fire Bar is part of a three-pack of familiars. The other minis in the set are an imp and a small dragon. From what I can tell, this is a very detailed miniature. With it being translucent, it is a little hard to get a good look at it while still in the package, but I have faith it is at least as good as the other miniatures in the line. Being made of fire and bones, it makes sense to produce a translucent mini to highlight the fire body. Once painted, I bet this is a superb figure. Here is the unpainted Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures release of the Fire Bat.

 
Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures - Fire Bat

As I have stated above, the Fire Bat has already been made into a miniature. It was a prepainted mini that was part of the Icons of the Realms line of miniatures. Even in this first iteration, the mini is translucent to add a more fiery feel. The bones are a negative shape on the underside of the mini and then painted black. Here is the original Fire Bat miniature.

 
Fire Bat
Icons of the Realms miniatures - Elemental Evil
2015

 That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here next week. Until then...  

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

3 comments:

  1. I have been researching the Fire Bat mini that comes in the Nolzur's Familiars set and came across your blog. I have been trying to figure out why there is a mini for a creature that does not seem to be a 5e monster. I cannot find it in any book. Do you know what the backstory is? Your blog looks great, BTW. Glad I ran across it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Glad you are enjoying the blog! I designed it, they made TWO miniatures of it. I am pretty sure someone else painted it for a book - though I am not sure off hand which one at the moment. I design and paint them, what happens beyond that is out of my hands :)

      Delete
    2. I thought that might be the case -- thanks for the reply, though!

      Delete