Monday, October 12, 2020

Mythic Odysseys of Theros - Return of the Breaching Hippocamp

Recently, the Mythic Odysseys of Theros was released for Dungeons & Dragons. This supplement brings the Magic the Gathering world of Theros into the worlds and realms of D&D, which frankly is pretty cool. The new supplement is filled with Magic the Gathering art, which means there was a good chance I had a piece in the book since Theros was the first Magic set I worked on. As it would turn out, I do have a pice in the book. I believe it is only one, but it is hard to say for sure since I only looked at the book once so far. That's on me, but a lot is going on. Anyway, the Breaching Hippocamp that I designed and illustrated for Magic the Gathering - Theros is in  Mythic Odysseys of Theros as the main art for the Hippocamp in the monster section. There is some interesting cropping, but it is great to see this monster get some new life breathed into it as a D&D monster. Here is a look at the book and the original Breaching Hippocamp.

 
Mythic Odysseys of Theros
Standard and super special covers. Always nice that WotC sends out both.

 
The Hippocamp... RAWR!

 
Breaching Hippocamp
Magic the Gathering - Theros
12 x 8.7 - Digital 
© 2013 Wizards of the Coast

The Breaching Hippocamp was the second Magic card that I was commissioned to do and was the first monster for Magic that I had the opportunity to design from the ground up for the card. Crazy to think that I painted this at the end of 2012. Where does the time go? I shared the process and steps that went into this piece back in 2014 and shared the concept designs that I submitted for it. I still really like some of the versions that were not accepted, and since WotC doesn't own them, I might need to do back and do something with them. I wonder how they would look visiting the Sunken Stalls?

That's all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Friday, since I will be offline on Wednesday. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment