Monday, July 21, 2014

Gamorrean Guard

Today on the blog I have for you ANOTHER new traditionally painted Star wars piece! It is like I am making a habit of this or something ...as if I am practicing ...studying ...experimenting to learn, as it were. This time around it is a Gamorrean Guard and is the largest of these Star Wars studies so far. It is also my favorite so far. I present you with my Gamorrean Guard...

"Gamorrean Guard"
  8 x 8 - Acrylic, pencil, and gouache on board
Original available for sale over on my Web Store!
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

I have a new frustration ...the images, scans, and digital captures I am getting of my pieces just do not truly represent what is going on in the painting. Oh well... I could have worse problems. ...it is not like digital files loose something when they are printed out.

For this piece I started with a detail from a Star Wars drawing I did for myself last year. The Barada that started off this series of studies is also from the same drawing. I really liked how each of this monsters turned out and wanted to revisit them. Here is that drawing...

"Jabba's Gang"
11 x 14 - Pencil on toned paper
Original available for sale over on my Web Store!
© 2013 Christopher Burdett

I will say that there is something eerily similar to how these traditional pieces are now coming together compared to how my digital work comes together. Not sure if this is just a sign that I have a very ingrained work flow and habits that transcend media, or if in fact that after years of convincing myself to the contrary that I am actually painting when I work digitally. ...or both ...neither? Some elements take longer in digital while others take longer in traditional. In both there is the same feeling that I am swirling around and around on a piece and it slowly tightens up and at some point the piece just appears in front of me. Here is the Gamorrean Guard taking shape in 16 steps...

All images © 2014 Christopher Burdett

If all these separate images are not your thing, I have for you another of those handy dandy animated progressions for you so that you can just stare at different areas and see how they develop... at least that is what I like to do...

Gamorrean Guard - Process progression


That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment