Friday, January 22, 2021

Beasts of Flesh and Steel - The Return of Jybril and Rythcallocer

It is inevitable at some point in your career as a tabletop gaming artist that your work will be reprinted and reused by your clients. As evident on this blog, a good deal of my art sees second, third, and even a fourth or five printing on various cards, books, and more. While much of the time, I stumble over the reprints of my work. I am notified by fans, or I am credited on a project on BoardgameGeeks. Occasionally, much to my surprise and delight, the client sends me a copy of the reprinted work. Towards the end of 2020, the good folks at Monte Cook games did just that. While they are known for their sprawling futuristic world of Numenera, they recently created new 5th Edition (Dungeons & Dragons) stats for a book's worth of monsters and released them as Beasts of Flesh and Steel. I could not be more excited to see that two of my monsters, the Jybril and Rythcallocer, made it into the book.

 
Beasts of Flesh and Steel

 
The freaky shark monsters, the Jybril.
 
 
The scuttling favorite of mine, the Rythcallocer.
 
If I still played D&D, I would be instantly pulling from this book to include them in my game and keep my players guessing and afraid. While I support all gaming universes, I learned D&D first, and it will always be my home universe to go to when I think of gaming. So it is exciting to see other games acknowledging the presence that D&D has in the industry and allowing a wider range of players to use their creations in their games. It also means potential new players might now discover and try out Numenera. It was not a random decision to create a D&D stats guide for the Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. My gaming heart will likely always live in the Realms. Here again, are the final paintings for the Jybril and Rythcallocer.

 
Jybril
12 x 9 - Acrylic and pencil on board
 Original - SOLD
© 2015 Monte Cook
 
 
Rythcallocer
12 x 9 - Acrylic and pencil on board  
Original - SOLD  
© 2015 Monte Cook

That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment