Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Krash - Star Wars - Process

Today on the blog I have for you the process and steps that went into a recent Star Wars character illustration produced for the Edge of the Empire RPG supplement, Mask of the Pirate Queen. I was asked to create a Barabel brawler and I was more then happy to do so. This was my second time illustrating a Barabel for Edge of the Empire. The end result was a character named Krash and here is how the final illustration turned out...

Krash
Star Wars - Edge of the Empire: Mask of the Pirate Queen
9 x 12 - Acrylic and pencil on board 

Original - SOLD
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games 

As always I started with reference photos and thumbnails. Krash needed to feature his shock gloves he uses to brawl with as well as a dominate scar on his face from a shock glove wound. Pretty straight forward, right? Sure... but he also needed to be dressed all in dark clothes. Sometimes it is seemingly minor notes such as overall color request that can really make the assignment challenging. Here is how the thumbnails turned out...

Krash - Thumbnails
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games 

Speaking of photo reference, here for your enjoyment are some of the images I was working with to create this character and his illustration...

Krash -Reference photos
Photos by Achsa Nute

Thumbnail "B" was the winner and it was now time to get started on the final drawing. Not much to share about the drawing, I drew it, scanned it, and turned it in. There was a note to tweak one thing but that was done digitally and the drawing was approved. Here is how the final approved drawing turned out...

Krash - Drawing
Star Wars - Edge of the Empire: Mask of the Pirate Queen
11 x 14 - Acrylic and pencil on board 

Original - SOLD
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games  

Time for painting! I still have not figured out a good method for painting vignettes. I am a very sloppy painter in the early stages of a painting, both digitally and traditionally. I like to throw color around, splatter things, and work really loose to build up my under painting. When I work digitally I can make a quick and easy mask... I know I can do it traditionally as well, just have yet to try it. I could always try to paint cleaner and mind the edges more, but that is not my style. There is nothing wrong with painting out the background once I am done with the figure, it is just another step that needs to be addressed. Here are some images of the painting coming together in twelve easy steps...

Krash - Process progression
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games 

Please understand that the image looks more like the final image through out the process, the photos I take during the process just do not do the painting any favors. Here is an animated progression of the painting so that you can better see the steps coming together...

Krash - Animated process
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games 

From start to finish this was a fairly quick piece to work on. I was trying to make sure I worked on at least one piece for this project since it sounded like a very cool campaign. Here again is how the final illustration of Krash turned out...

Krash
Star Wars - Edge of the Empire: Mask of the Pirate Queen
9 x 12 - Acrylic and pencil on board 

Original - SOLD
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment