Friday, June 12, 2015

Adventures in Rome - 2015

In May the wife and I went on adventures in Italy and Germany. During our adventures I took 4200+ photos, many of which are potential reference and inspiration. Today I have some images from our time in Italy to share with you. We started in Rome and then returned to Venice so I will start with images from Rome.

This was my first time in Rome so there were many iconic sites we had to see. We spent a lot of time near the Colosseum since it was a central spot for our comings and goings in the city. For our visit we scheduled a tour at the Vatican and the Necropolis that was found under the Vatican's maintenance garage. Lastly, we had a tour of the Franciscan skeleton crypts and Pagan catacombs that are outside of the city walls. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take photos on our tour of the crypts and catacombs. Here are but a small number of my photos from Rome...

My favorite image from Rome. A look down onto the stage of the Colosseum.

The Colosseum on the afternoon we arrived.

The Arch of Constantine beside the Colosseum...

...and another shot of the Arch of Constantine with the Colosseum in the background.

I found the Colosseum had such an amazing presence in persona and was just so much bigger then I ever imaged.

The ship fountain at the Vatican that can only be seen if you take the Necropolis tour.

Several of the graves uncovered in the Necropolis.

A very well preserved mosaic floor in the Necropolis.

More from the Necropolis...

...and a little more. We were told that it was good we took the tour because it is unknown how much longer it will be available to the public.

One of the MANY ornate and amazing ceilings in the Vatican.

Derpy Vatican lion.

Cranky Vatican lion.

Back to the Colosseum and the surrounding area.

The view of the Colosseum and part of the Forum from the Palitine Hill.

Looking down into the Forum from the Palitine Hill.

Down in the Forum at one of my favorite bit of ruins.

Navona Plaza after dark.

This was an amazing fountain in the daylight, but at night it had a certain magic.

Back to the Colosseum for our tour.

It truly must have been a wonder to behold when it was whole and complete.

While it must have been amazing, it is hard not to overlook the death and destruction this building also represents.

The two dark and scary levels that were under the stage.

There was a small piece of the stage rebuilt at one end of the Colosseum.

One last image of the Colosseum.

Polyphemus head... RAWR!
All images © 2015 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here next week! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment