Monday, May 20, 2013

Ungoliant's Spawn

Spiders, for some the stuff of nightmares... for me, another day on the job. Today I have for you a recently released Lord of the Rings piece that I produced last year. If your local gaming store hosts an FFG Game Night, then you may have already seen this piece. Ungoliant's Spawn is part of the Passage Through Mirkwood Nightmare Deck that is part of the current FFG Game Night. Enough about all that, bring on the monster...

Ungoliant's Spawn
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

I was approached to create a big bad spider 'boss' for the nightmare deck and I aim to please. Though there were some ups and downs with this piece (which took place all on my end and will be addressed on another day), I am really happy with how the piece turned out. They wanted a 'RAWR!' worthy monster spider and I think I managed to give them that. Thanks to a search on the internet I was able to find an image of the final cars... though it is not the best image, it is more then I had before doing the search...

Ungoliant's Spawn in handy card form
(Thanks internet, even though it is blurry)

As you can see I once again produced a piece that I wanted to have while providing a piece that give the client something that they can use. I wanted a nice big wide image of a monster spider and they needed a square close up of a spider monster... WIN/WIN! In the coming weeks I will have a more thorough look at the steps and process that went into this piece as well as some thoughts on the ups and downs.

That is all for another exciting monster filed Monday, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

4 comments:

  1. Another amazing illustration. The head-on angle of the monster works great and I really like all the ensnared bodies in its web that litter the background. I thought they were just bumps on the cave wall at first , but then saw the skull in the close-up one and it clicked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lance! Much appreciated. :) Glad to hear you are digging it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That was what I was asked to deliver, glad I hit the mark! :)

      Delete