Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My life as a crappy artist - Fell Brethren

You of course remember the Fell Brethren from episode 19, Time Bomb, from season 5 of Angel, right? Any good Angel fan would, right? I barely recall the dang thing and I on the design team for it. So that everyone is on the same page, this is Fell Brethren...

In the future... there will be no lip palm, and it will be a dry and cracked future...

I was able to find some time to take a fresh pass at another monster that I designed while working on Joss Whedon's Angel series. This time around the Fell Brethren was the lucky winner. Here is my original design for the Fell Brethren from 2004...

My original concept for the Fell Brethren. Not the worse thing I did while working in LA, not the best either. Trying to remember if my idea was that the horns were melted back as if with from extremely high heat or if they were growing out and had skin and demon funk all over them...
© 2004 Almost Human

I really don't recall the motivation behind the Fell Brethren at this point. As season 5 of Angel came to a close it was a blur of activity in the shop and we were just trying to hit all our deadlines. I guess the back story on them is a moot point here, suffice to say they needed a group of demons called the Fell Brethren and they gave us very little time to come up with them. Our original designs were all over the place and in the end we were critiqued into doing a rather straight forward new face with notified existing cowls. Hence the large textures and detail ending just pass the face. The shops art director did a great job quickly sculpting the face and we tag teamed modifying the cowls and painting everything. In the end I kind of liked how they turned out, they were at least fun to work on. All things aside, here is something... newer, for the design of the Fell Brethren...

Taking the Fell Brethren back!
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

Okay... to be honest I really didn't have a plan for redesigning this demon I just kind of started drawing. I just started drawing... and looking at it now, it really feels that way to me, I was just drawing. I did try to start with the bone face scale/teeth/horn bits that I had in my original design but past that I think I was just having some stream of conscience drawing. There is also the possibility that I forgot I was drawing the Fell Brethren and thought I was drawing the Hideous Demon.Who knows at this point... I had fun drawing and I have said many times before, that is the real goal of a lot of these exercises.

I had one shop pic to share from working on the Fell Brethren. Not the most exciting picture, but it allows a peak behind the curtain of the makeup FX business and my time on Angel...

Awaiting host bodies... Fell Brethren face pieces and cowls freshly painted and ready for set.

That is all for another Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment