Monday, March 12, 2012

Beastly Fighter

My studies continue and this time it is an alligator wielding a sword! You might remember my recent post about the Beastly Caster, I am trying to make the most of my personal drawing time by incorporating more reference to hopefully improve my overall drawing skills. This time around the study had figure and animal reference. So today on the blog I have for you the second of my studies...

Beastly Fighter
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

It is not uncommon to come across alligator heads for sale at Florida tourist traps. I had always wanted one but for one reason or another I have never owned one. My wife corrected this last year and I was very overdue in drawing it. This critter obviously gave me the opportunity.

I will say again, you NEED to be using reference, especially if you are starting out or you are wanting to move your work to the next level. The reference does not draw your drawing for you and you can use the reference incorrectly. This does not change the fact that you are doing yourself a great disservice by not making the most of the world around you to influence your work. People go about using reference in many ways and you need to find the way that works best for you and stick with it! The only person you are hurting by not using all the resources available to you... is you.

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments: