Monday, November 6, 2023

Florida Comic Con Recap

The Florida Comic Con was this past weekend, and I was happy to be a guest at the inaugural weekend of this event in Tallahassee. I did not know what to expect, but it has been a joy to be a part of Infinity Con here in Tallahassee and to watch it grow from a one-day event in 2019, survive the pandemic, and now be the super fun two-day show that we enjoy in July of each year. I am always happy to support and be a part of events in Tallahassee, so when I saw that the Florida Comic Con was coming to town, I reached out to them. As it was their first year here, I had a good feeling for what it would be like and what the turn out would be. It was a double game weekend, so that can be an issue. There was a football game on Saturday afternoon, and it did have a noticeable impact on attendance and there was a basketball game at the venue on Sunday that caused some issues with parking and loadout. Other than that, it was a smooth and easy event to attend and exhibit from my end of things. Sales hit the number I wanted them to, so a weekend well spent - especially after having to buy a car after IX. Everyone was friendly and were incredibly accommodating. I ended up with a larger space than I had expected initially, and they offered even more space if I wanted it. It was great to see some familiar faces in attendance and to hear from so many who have already traveled to the Grand Bazaar. There were some fun guests in attendance, and it was great to chat with them. One of the guests came over to talk and look at my booth. They were working on several projects and were looking for artists and writers. They were really drawn to my booth and my work, but in the end, admitted that they love what I am doing but know they could never lure me away from my work to work with them. That was the nicest and one of the most professional compliments I have ever received, and it was a highlight of the weekend for me. I really felt seen in that moment. Here are some images and additional thoughts from the weekend.

There was some confusion in town when my face started appearing on posters around town, but I had not announced that I was a guest at the event.
 
My booth at the first Florida Comic Con. I didn't realize how long two tables would be. I found myself walking back and forth the length of my booth a lot.

It is always nice to recieve so many compliments about the look of the booth and the contents within.

I worked hard to make some images of myslef in the booth to share on social media, but the results were not always what I wanted.

This was taken right before teh show began on Saturday and was my view of the event for two days.
 
There were some nice rushes of people for the first half of the day on Saturday.
 
I did one drawing on a Magic the Gathering artist proof - RAWR!

If you know me, you know my love for Bossk and Admiral Ackbar. I finally got to meet the later.

One last look at the booth on Sunday. I anticipated that Sunday was going to be a slower day, and it was, but there was still plenty of fun things to do and see.

Lastly, what were once twenty are now nine. All of the new art from the Grand Bazaar from this year will be heading to my store in the coming weeks. Now that the convention season is over it is time to restock the store and to get back to work on new art.

That's all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment