Monday, March 20, 2023

Drogon Tattoo

In 2010 I painted the three dragons from A Game of Thrones for the card game for the first time. This, of course, included Drogon, and in 2011, the cards were released featuring my paintings. They were a fan favorite immediately, with Drogon becoming the top favorite. Sometime after that, I was approached by Mat McCarthy regarding usage rights for a tattoo. As this was work for hire, that is all out of my hands; I gave him my blessing. For years I have been reluctant to design tattoos or have people use my art in such a manner. It had everything to do with not feeling comfortable with art I do not think it is my best to be permanently put on someone's body. As my skillsets improved over the years, my no-tattoo stance has softened. I am still not designing them, but my existing art is available - but you need to contact me first, and I would like images of the final results. To start things off, here is the final art for the first Drogon painting that I created.

Drogon
10 x 8.3 - Digital
Art Director - Zoe Robinson
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

If I dug through enough messages and emails, I could figure out when Mat approached me, but that is irrelevant to the story. Mat wanted Drogon on his body, and I was finally at a point I could give him my blessing. This was years ago, but as of 2016, Mat had a significant amount of the tattoo finally created. Mat shared the images again, which is how I finally saw them. He shared that the piece is still not completed. I think it looks fantastic all the same, and he agreed that I could share the images of his tattoo. Without further yammering on my part, here are the images of the Drogon tattoo.

Images courtesy Mat McCarthy

Many thanks to Mat for the use of the images and for liking this piece enough to get it over a good bit of his body. It is an honor and very humbling.

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment