Monday, February 6, 2023

The Arrival - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

I am thrilled to share another new piece from The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. This illustration is for Book Two: The Completed Circle. As the final piece I completed in 2022, it is the first to share in 2023. This piece will be the second central environmental plate of the book and depicts the band of heroes arriving at the Grand Bazaar as their adventure continues. As this is an ancient story, we see the Grand Bazaar in its early days. Only several hundred years old at this point, the tenting hasn't been completed yet, and the Grand Bazaar is just a shadow of what it will eventually become. As a side note, this was the piece that I was the least looking forward to doing and went through MANY iterations before I came up with this composition to tell the story. Through the work I put into it, it is now one of my favorite pieces I have done for the books, and I believe it marks a moment of skill improvement for me. I wish you could see this one in person, as scans and images do not do it justice. I present to you with The Arrival.

The Arrival
The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia - The Completed Circle
16 x 20 - Pencil, ink, and acrylic paint on paper
Original - Available on my store
© 2022 Christopher Burdett
 
The Arrival - Drawing 
16 x 20 - Pencil on paper
© 2022 Christopher Burdett
 
This is the second of three larger pieces I am currently working on. Once they are completed, I will move back to a pair of connected character illustrations, which will be followed by the first of two huge pieces that I have planned for the book. Always more to do, but as long as I stay focused, they will all get completed. Here is a look at the sketch for The Arrival to show where it began.
 
The Arrival - Sketch 
Digital
© 2022 Christopher Burdett

As a bonus, I have some images of the rendering process of this piece so that you can get a better idea of it taking shape.

The Arrival - Process
© 2022 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment