Friday, July 22, 2022

Interstellar Express Part 5 - Planet Finals

Today, I am continuing my posts focused on my work from Interstellar Express, the educational game I art directed and made many assists. This week I am sharing the final art for the planets I created. Let's get back to the Interstellar Express!

Interstellar Express space screen
Final art by Lee Bretschneider

From the beginning of the project, I wanted the planets to have character and not be simple spheres. I wanted them to be instantly recognizable and unique while being visually interesting and fun. That meant breaking the sphere and creating things unlike any planet we have observed. I am happy with how they turned out, and they were a lot of fun to bring to life. I present you with the final planet art of Interstellar Express.

The lava planet was where I first thought about breaking the sphere and making a more exciting shape that played up the theme of that world.

The bird world that has no birds has some sphere to it but then highlights the visual elements that you will encounter once you are in the environment. 

The (robot-less) robot world isn't even a planet, but more of a constructed from in space - head-like in its appearance.

The lost desert world is straightforward.

The bug world was a fun one with giant mushrooms towering into space.

The world of elements embodies vapor, water, and ice.

The ocean world was a fun one and plays into the concept of these planets having a top and bottom. 

One of my favorites is, of course, the shape world. I was pleased with the look and finish of it.

Generic alien planet for all your generic alien needs.

Lastly, the dinosaur planet that wasn't destroyed by an asteroid.

That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment