Friday, July 15, 2022

Interstellar Express Part 4 - Character Model Sheets

Today, I am continuing my posts focused on my work from Interstellar Express, the educational game I art directed and made many assists. This week I am sharing the character model sheets for all the aliens in the game. Let's get back to the Interstellar Express!

Interstellar Express space screen
Final art by Lee Bretschneider

The project's highlight was the concept and design work for the alien creatures. While I did not make the final assets of the aliens in the game, I did everything up to that point. This included model sheets of all the aliens with front and side views, a color study, and a rigging guide. This stage was the most fun and felt the least like work. I would have liked to do more of these, but there are a finite number of alien species in the game. I needed to provide all the information and details with these model sheets so that the rest of the team were given everything needed to make them multi-pieced animated figures. The results were outstanding, and the final results were robust and offered a great deal of flexibility with a full range of expressions and poses. I present you with the aliens of Interstellar Express.

My favorite overall was the triceratops in a spacesuit. 
 
The partner's favorite were the Lavafolk.

The shape aliens were another favorite of mine.

Who doesn't like a sea horse in a water mask?

Initially considered too scary for children, one of the insects made it into the game.

Hands down my least favorite thing in the game. These generic aliens aren't tied to anything and feel disconnected from the rest of the themes and designs. Oh well. They were chosen, and I made them as good as I could and ensured they received as much time, attention, and work as the rest of them. Because at the end of the day, if I don't like something I have been tasked to make, I suck it up and do the very best job I can. Because, I am a professional, and that is what we do.

The Conductor was also considered too scary. There was a lot of discussions if three eyes or four eyes were scarier. To be honest, I don't recall how many eyes the final Conductor received.

Lastly, the Universal Translator. The team did a lot of fun work to give her distinct looks for her differenct emotions and reactions. A good example of better results by involving different people.

That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment