Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Augmented Reality Test in The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

Earlier this year, the art team at the day job has been experimenting with Adobe Aero to generate augmented reality (AR) content to see what was possible. Six years ago, we did many virtual reality (VR) tests and experiments at work. While we have not done much with VR since then, we are exploring the opportunities that AR can provide. We are exploring several different things currently, but these are results I can share. 

We were asked to explore what the software could do with the resources we had at hand. The point was to push and pull at the application's limitations while not spending much time creating assets. I, of course, immediately reached for the images from the first book in the Grand Bazaar series that I cut apart for the launch video of the Kickstarter campaign. I wanted to see how the art would look set up as a shadowbox so that you could look into the work. The sound triggered by interaction was another aspect I looked into, and you can see that in the first video about halfway through. The music is triggered by me tapping the map image on my phone while recording. Here are two of the later tests with the art shadow boxes.

 
This was actually several tests into my work with Aero. It took a little work to get a feel for the software and to import things correctly, edit them as I wanted, and get them to be the size and location I wanted. After several tests, it became clear to me that I needed to finish off the art with sides to enclose them. Once I did this, the art became more of a finished object, and the sides limit you from seeing beyond the art once you look into them. The shadow box feel of the art pieces pleases me, and I think it was a reasonably successful conclusion. Something to remember for future trips to the Grand Bazaar. 

 
Again, this is well into me working with these assets. I wanted to try a vertical arrangement of my phone so that I would fill the screen better with the art and explore the art better. It is similar to the other video but lingers more on the first few pieces.

In the coming weeks, I will share some other experiments I did with Aero and AR. I have some additional pieces from the Grand Bazaar and some from beyond.

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment