Friday, September 18, 2020

Morkoth Miniature

Today I have for you another miniature that has been based on my work. I illustrated the Morkoth for Volo's Guide to Monsters. For whatever reason, I never imagined that the Morkoth would receive a miniature. It's kinda weird, it's an underwater monster, and for some reason, I thought it was a massive creature. I was wrong on all of those. It took a while for the official miniature to come out, but it finally did. In the gap between when Volo's came out and when the miniature came out, not only did one person make a custom miniature, but two people made a custom miniature. Granted, there very well are MANY others who did the same, but these are the two I know about. To start things off, here is my painting for the Morkoth.

Morkoth
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2016 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As I have said, I imagined the Morkoth being a huge monster. When we get the art assignments, the size is often included, but as I am working on these, they usually take on a size of there own in my head. When the book comes out, I can go and look at their size, but by that time, I have already established my own size for them, and I am resistant to change it. My headcanon for the monsters I design or illustrate doesn't affect anyone. When the official miniature comes out, my perception of the monsters is usually brought into line with the actual monster as it exists in D&D. But for me, the Morkoth is still a gigantic underwater beast. Here are some images of the official D&D Morkoth miniature. 

Morkoth Miniature
 
That's all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here next week. Until then...
 
For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment