Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Shimmerwing Chimera - Magic: the Gathering - Theros Beyond Death

I am pleased to share with you the second of my cards that will be part of the newest Magic the Gathering set, Theros Beyond Death. The Shimmerwing Chimera was my favorite of the cards I did for Theros. I had wanted to design and paint a Chimera since the first time working on Theros, those many moons ago. It was great working with Dawn Murin on these, and I happy to finally be able to share them with you. As with the Stinging Lionfish, the Shimmerwing Chimera has received a lot of attention since it was spoiled.

Shimmerwing Chimera
Magic the Gathering - Theros Beyond Death
14 x 10.2 - Digital
Art Director - Dawn Murin
 © 2020 Wizards of the Coast

As I mentioned when I shared my Egg Token from Commander 2019, my schedule is currently too full to allow me to do the entire prep work for these. This means I only had time for the pencil drawing and not the tonal study. I had to work that out as I painted, which has resulted in some frustration with the paintings. Here is the drawing for the Shimmerwing Chimera.

Shimmerwing Chimera
Magic the Gathering - Theros Beyond Death
14 x 11 - Digital
Original - SOLD
 © 2020 Wizards of the Coast

Shimmerwing Chimera in handy dandy card form.

I will be posting more cards as they are spoiled, and in time I will share with you the process and steps that went into making these.

That is all for another exciting day on the blog, see you back here tomorrow! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment