Friday, April 7, 2017

Looking Back: Immortal's Resting Place - Dreamblade

Today on the blog I am looking back at another Dreamblade miniature design that I have never shared before. Here is the design for the Immortal's Resting Place which was part of the first expansion (Baxar's War) to Dreamblade released back in 2006...

Immortal's Resting Place
12 x 9 - Pencil on paper
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

This assignment called for a massive dragon skeleton that had been around so long that it was part of the landscape. As a location piece in the game this particular design was free from some of the other restriction for the miniatures. This was the first and only design that I did for this one as it was approved immediately. I was not expecting that and was rather surprised. With an approved design it was time to move onto the turnaround...

Immortal's Resting Place Turnaround
12 x 9 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

After this piece came out I really wish I had done something more or different with it. It felt so small and flat and not very exciting. To be honest, I was was very happy with my work on this one. I wish I had done something more vertical and or dynamic with the design. To me, it all felt rather on the nose. Funny thing is, I have not looked at this one in a couple of years and now that I see it again I don't have any problem with it. It totally gets the point across and it interesting from every side. Funny how time and distance will give you a new view on things. Here is how the production miniature turned out for this one...

Immortal's Resting Place Miniature

That's all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday!  Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment