Monday, November 12, 2012

lluxcon 2012 - Day 4

All good things must come to an end and alas it is Day 4, the last day, of Illuxcon V. There is nothing scheduled today, so there is plenty of time to explore the main exhibit hall one last time to make sure you didn't miss anything. Even though I have been here all four days I was still discovering things I had overlooked the previous three. Plenty of people still to talk to and many delights for the eyes and spirit. Some people had to give their goodbyes the evening before due to early flights and departure times. Many others said their goodbyes throughout the day reluctant to leave until they could not stay any longer and still make it home that day.

As with previous years, I stayed to the end. I was transporting several artists and their work back to the hotel. After unloading we broke into groups, big and small, and went in search for food. Many of us had not eaten all day and there was a little over indulgence at dinner. But the company was stellar and the fun never ended. Due to may 5:30 am flight leaving Altoona I had to go back to my room after dinner to make sure I was all packed, but after that I made my rounds of the bar saying goodbye to those still around. Bittersweet as all the goodbyes are at Illuxcon, I am eager to get home and get to work, but many of these amazing and talented people only cross paths with me once a year.

It was strange to realize this was the last time many of us would be in the exhibit building let alone Altoona. Illuxcon will be moving to Allentown, Pa. next year to a much bigger home. I have grown to enjoy my time in Altoona with all its quirks. There has been something nice about having to share the drive from the hotel to the event building. Once in Allentown the hotel and exhibition space will be in walking distance. Granted, there will be more food options, nicer lodging, a bigger nicer exhibition space, and better access to airports and mass transit, for me at least, I will miss Altoona. I have a lot of amazing memories associated with the city and Illuxcon.

A big thanks as always goes out to Patrick and Jeannie Wilshire for all that they do to make Illuxcon the event that it is. Also, there are so many volunteers and helping hands that need to be thanked for what they do to contribute to the amazing and AWESOME event that is Illuxcon. I eagerly await what Illuxcon VI brings, there are MANY exciting changes and new opportunities ahead for Illuxcon and the artists attending. Here are some pictures from Day 4...

 More of Tom Kuebler's amazing work!

 The painting that Julie Bell was working on while attending Illuxcon.

 A look around the exhibit hall of Illuxcon V on Day 4.

  A look around the exhibit hall of Illuxcon V on Day 4.

  A look around the exhibit hall of Illuxcon V on Day 4.

 Down on the floor having a look around...

 Shadowcore at Illuxcon! Representing members: Myself, Mike Sass, and Chris Rahn.

 Say this out front of the exhibition hall after helping Chris Seaman with some reference photos. Apparently not everyone was not a fan of Shadowcore... :P

 The final end of Illuxcon at Altoona. Time to say goodbye and to look ahead to all that Illuxcon in Allentown will have to offer!

That is all for today... as I am still traveling home and wrote this at the airport. I will be back on Wednesday after some much needed rest. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the daily posts. It was fun following along since I couldn't make it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Least I can do is share what is going on. It is such a special event I can't help my share what is going on.

      Delete
  2. I really wish I had been able to stay all four days, I am already planning out next year and getting some things ready. I wanted to thank you for giving me some great suggestions and advice, I really appreciate how helpful everyone was. PS. my google acount posts things as william (first name) but this is Aaron Sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Glad to hear you had a great time and are planning to return next year. Illuxcon is a really special place!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this series! I've not yet stepped into a convention, but this looks like one to put on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Illuxcon is not to be missed for sure. It is one of a kind.

      Delete