Friday, October 27, 2023

IX 2023 and AECT Recap - A Not So Funny Thing Happen on the Way to the Forum

The last two weeks have been eventful, to say the least. Not only did I return to the IX Showcase, but I and the team from the day career debuted the augmented reality (AR) proof of concept project that we have been working on for close to two years. And if you attended IX, you will likely know that I had to deal with a sudden and unrecoverable mechanical breakdown with my car on the way to IX - more on this before. I will start things off with a photo of my booth at IX and then pick up the story of AECT below.

My setup for the IX 2023 Showcase

At the day career, we have been working on and off in the background of several test projects as we experiment with different applications, production methods, and delivery systems. You might remember my VR and AR experiments that I have been sharing here on the blog. While we have had some exploration freedom to pursue these technologies in our own way, we have also been focused on making something more relevant and valuable in the direction of our regular work - for yearly accreditation of childcare homes and facilities staff. To that end, the team created an AR experience in which you explore a virtual life-size van to ensure no children are still inside. As I live in Florida, we have an issue every year with children being left in vehicles, and doing so can have deadly consequences. While I did a fair amount of concept work and art direction with what we were creating, I realized I was best positioned to help guide the team on boothing at the event. While we have presented before at events, we haven't boothed in the same way that I am familiar with my art shows and conventions. I ensured we had a retractable banner, table runner, and other signage. I brought my walls and lighting to the conference, and here is how the booth turned out. 

My setup for the AECT 2023 conference

We had monitors with a looping video that explained the experience and demonstrated a user going through the various steps.

We had a large space marked off on the floor to serve as the position to set the virtual van. To put it mildly, it was a massive success. The team did amazing and knocked it out of the park. We were able to set up early and turned a two-hour presentation window into close to five hours. So many people came and tried out the experience. I could not be more pleased with all that the team did, and the booth looked great. There were no others presenting that could match our display. It was excellent from start to finish.

We had the full range of users, from experts to complete novices. We got SO much user feedback information to improve the experience more.

It was all hands on deck at times, as up to four people were demoing simultaneously.

This team knocked it out of the park!

After the presentation window closed, I had to gather all my convention gear because I had to drive four hours to get home, pack for IX, and leave the following day. No rest for the wicked! I rushed back into town and loaded the car and trailer in the dark. I was able to get a little sleep, and we were on the road at 7 AM. 

THEN IT ALL WENT WRONG

On the first day of the drive to IX, an hour out from our stop for the night, my car's transmission failed. Failed going up a hill with the trailer. Failed while I was surrounded by semi-trucks. Failed as it was getting dark. Failed in the middle of nowhere. Well, we were not in complete nowhere, but the nearest place to be towed to was Wytheville (With-ville), VA., which was 20 miles north. We got the car and trailer towed there and then started to see what our options were. In the end, we had to leave the car since it was the transmission and rent a massive U-Haul truck to tow the trailer that had all our stuff in it. This year's trip to IX was getting increasingly expensive by the second. But we did not have a lot of options. On the drive to IX the following day, we repeatedly contacted the dealership to determine how bad it was. The replacement transmission would cost $6300, but it would be a month before they might get one. This, of course, was not an option. SO we braced for the worst and started planning on buying a new car... but before that, there was IX.

I was the second artist to set up in the Showcase. This was how it looked from my corner. When I finally finished my setup and turned around, the room was full of art and people.

Another look at my booth in the Showcase. I had left my banner in the room, thinking I would not have room. Once I was done, I realized I could include it, which is the photo at the top of the page.

The portraits of the citizens of the Grand Bazaar were very popular and the first one sold before the Showcase opened.

I was asked to add to a sketchbook filled with drawings of penguins and tortoises.

So many portraits went to forever homes!

The annual IX lunch at the Peanut Bar was fun, as always.

Sadly, with everything going on and the fact that we were so distracted by the car situation, I feel like we missed most of the Main Show. It also felt like we lost out on a lot of time with friends. But it is what it is, and nothing can be done about that now. I do not have any pictures of the Showcase or Main Show, but I have some photos of the second floor as we tore it down.

Where once hung art, now only memories remain.
 
Every year, I help tear down the second-floor gallery, and every year, we seem to do it a little faster.
 
One last look at the Goggle Works building before we left. There was so much construction going on at the venue this year I was very happy to have not had to load in around it. Granted, if I had been in the Main Show, I would not have been able to attend AECT with the team, they wouldn't have had my walls and lights, and the car issues would have had even more negative effects on the show.

We had to rush back to Virginia to see about a car after IX concluded. We had been dealing with one salesman, but after he sold the car we had been talking to them about for days, an hour before we got there, we switched up who we were dealing with. They made right by us, and in the end, I went from a Rogue to a Pathfinder. Not what I had planned, not what I had wanted, but this is what needed to happen. It will be a much better vehicle to tow with and a better car to travel to conventions.

The new car will hopefully get us to and from events for many, many years to come.

In the end, we made it there and back. It was a very expensive pair of weeks, but like I said, we are safe, the art is safe, and we got us and the art home in one piece. There are plenty of other frustrations and issues that happened along the way, but I think the meat of the adventures has been shared here. I now know some fun things to do around Wytheville, VA., if anyone is curious.

That is all for another week on the blog. See you back here next week! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment