Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Dungeons & Dragons - The Wild Beyond the Witchlight

The newest Dungeons & Dragons supplement, The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, was released yesterday, and I was lucky enough to have contributed a piece to it. For this book, I was asked to illustrate a goblin whose head is a caramel-covered apple named Chucklehead. Chucklehead was already designed for me, but I got to flesh the character out and breathe a little life into him. This was one of two D&D projects I was working on at the same time earlier this year. I ended up with more pieces on the other project and only one for The Wild Beyond the Witchlight. If I had known how amazing this book would be, I would have taken more on, but alas, my only contribution will be Chucklehead, and to be honest, if I was to only paint on monster for this book, I am glad it is Chucklehead. Here is a look at the final painting for Chucklehead.

Chucklehead
The Wild Beyond the Witchlight
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As with all my D&D pieces, even though the final is digital, there is an original drawing available. A keen eye will notice some changes between the drawing being approved and the illustration being completed. I will go over those changes and why they happen in the coming weeks when I share the process and steps for this painting. I will also share all of the thumbnails and the alternate directions I wanted to take this piece. Here is the drawing for Chucklehead.

Chucklehead  - Drawing
The Wild Beyond the Witchlight
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Lastly, here is a look at Chucklehead in the book. It printed beautifully and looks so good with the texture and patterns that they added behind him. A miniature for Chucklehead is already works and should be out sometime in October. When I get my hands on one, I will be sure to share it here!

Chucklehead in book form!

That is all of another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment