Friday, June 18, 2021

Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures - Aarakocra

Recently finding the Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures release of the Eidolon opened the flood gates of a ton of miniatures based on my designs and illustrations that I was completely unaware of. I am not sure if I found them all, but I certainly found enough. I will be sharing them with you over the next few weeks. To start things off, I have for you a lovely miniature based on my designs and work on the Aarakocra that I updated and illustrated for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons. Looking at the miniature again, it is possible the pose what pulled from the illustration of the Aarakocra from the D&D supplement Princes of the Apocalypse by Claudio Pozas. The Aarakocra first became a miniature in 2014, but this updated version is a lot more to my liking. To start things off, here is the illustration for the Aarakocra.

Aarakocra
 Dungeons & Dragons - 5th Edition Monster Manual
8x11 - Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures release of the Aarakocra, it is part of a two-pack of miniatures. The other mini in the set is a Harpy. As previously mentioned, I think this miniature looks excellent and really breaths a lot of life into my design. I never had the opportunity to show it in action. During the design phase for 5E, it was all about getting the design across, and when it came time for the illustration in the Monster Manual, I was asked again to present it more or less in a strong standing pose. If I had to do it over again, I might have pushed for something more dynamic. Here is the unpainted Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures release of the Aarakocra.


 
Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures - Aarakocra

As I have stated above, the Aarakocra has already been made into a miniature. It was a prepainted mini that was part of a standalone miniatures game that is now no longer in production. It seemed interesting, but I never played it. It was an early way to get miniatures based on 5th Edition versions of the monsters, though. Here is the Aarakocra from that early line of minis.

Aarakocra - Miniature
Icons of the Realms
2014

Lastly, here is the final concept design that I did in the design phase of 5th Edition. This particular monster when through several iterations before it got to this point. Some of which needed to be killed with fire. But that is the way of things.

Aarakocra - Final Concept
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here next week. Until then... 

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment