Monday, June 28, 2021

Cryptic Knight - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

After too long of a gap, I am happy to share another new piece from The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. This illustration is the third completed work for Book Two: The Completed Circle. This piece focuses on a skilled blade master who wields one of the fabled Qurynel swords. The Qurynel blade is said to be so smooth and polished that it reflects any light giving it the appearance of it glowing. I present to you the Cryptic Knight.

Cryptic Knight
The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia - The Completed Circle
13 x 17 - Pencil, ink, and acrylic paint on paper
Original - SOLD© 2021 Christopher Burdett
 
Cryptic Knight - Drawing 
13 x 17 - Pencil on paper
© 2021 Christopher Burdett
 
Typically, I share the final art and the line drawing that will eventually become the line art in a coloring book. As with all of my work, I start with references and a digital sketch to work out the idea in my head for these images. You should be able to draw a straight line from the digital sketch to the finished art. More detail is added, and elements are fleshed out along the way, but the overall piece is locked in during the sketch. Here is the sketch for the Cryptic Knight.
 
Cryptic Knight - Sketch 
13 x 17 - Digital
© 2021 Christopher Burdett 
 

Though considered the product of fairy tales and folklore, there is some evidence that the Qurynel Blademasters existed. Who they were and where they came from has been lost to the ages, but small fragments of highly reflective metal still exist in shrines and museums. When the young farmhand was about to run afoul of a blood-thirsty band of brigands, out of the night came a flashing blade.

As a bonus, I have some images of the rendering process of this piece so that you can get a better idea of it taking shape. 
 
 
Cryptic Knight - Process
© 2021 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...    

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment