Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Dungeons & Dragons - Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft - Part 2

On Monday, I shared the first of two posts of my work from the new Dungeons & Dragons supplement, Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Today brings the second post and the mighty Unspeakable Horror. This monster was a particular joy to design and paint. While there was a loose description provided, a lot of it was up to me to work out. I remember the need for its body to look and feel like old rotten wood and that it needed to have a crown of parasitic worms or caterpillars. All I know is that I needed to make an Unspeakable Horror, and I was more than happy to oblige. Here is the final painting for the Unspeakable Horror.

Unspeakable Horror
Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

The final painting may be digital, but there is, as with all of my D&D work, an original drawing available of this monster. I was especially pleased with the drawing for this one and gave it additional time and attention. Partially due to the complexity and partly because I was enjoying myself. Here are the drawings for the Unspeakable Horror.


Unspeakable Horror  - Drawing
 Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Lastly, here is a look at the Unspeakable Horror in the book. It printed beautifully. I really like the red graphic element behind the figure; it complements the piece nicely. As always, fingers crossed that there will eventually be a miniature made for this monster.

 
Unspeakable Horror in book form!

That is all of another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment