Friday, September 20, 2019

Egg Token - MtG - Commander 2019

I have been so focused on my book that many things are slipping by my attention. One of these things is that I had a new Magic the Gathering card resent released. In Commander 2019, I had the opportunity to paint the Egg Token. This is as close as I got to the Ixalan set as I got, but it still counts in my book. This one was a little stressful to work on, not only had it been a while since working on Magic I was (and still am) hard at work on my book when the assignment arrived. In the end, the card was approved, and the cards that followed this one were a lot more successful. Here is my Egg Token.

Egg Token
Magic the Gathering - Commander 2019
12 x 8.7- Digital 
Art Director - Taylor Ingvarsson
 © 2019 Wizards of the Coast

Since I was jumping back and forth from this piece and my book, I had to make certain sacrifices to get all the work completed. One of the things that had to go was the toned paper value study for this piece. Typically I produce a line drawing and a toned value study for each of my Magic pieces. There was not enough time to squeeze one more drawing onto my table, and so I had to let it go. This means there is only one original drawing for this piece, and here it is.
Egg Token Drawing
Magic the Gathering - Commander 2019
11 x 14 - Pencil on Paper
Original - SOLD
 © 2019 Wizards of the Coast


I am also not planning on making prints for this card either. I am not sure if there will be any demand, and I am moving away from making prints of client work anyway as I focus on my book. Also, I am unsure if and when I will see any artist proofs for these. These token cards are actually double-sided with other tokens, which is new to me. Here is how the printed version of the Egg Token turned out.

Egg Token in handy dandy card form

I hope to have time in the near future after the book is off my plate to talk more about this piece and share the painting process. There were a lot of ups and down with it as I worked on it.

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment