Friday, August 17, 2018

Trash Golem Scout - The Charmin Extender Monster From 2007

I have something weird for you today all the way from 2007. Way back in 2007 a friend, Eric Shepard, was running a blog and doing lots of neat stuff with it and occasionally I was involved. Not sure how it all came together, but it started with Charmin (the toilet paper people) were giving away spring loaded extenders if you contacted them. The extenders were a tie-in to new toilet paper, or something, that Charmin wanted to get them into people's hands. Eric thought it would be fun if a bunch of artists and creative people all got some and made art with them. Sounded fun and I got a extender. People came up with some interesting uses for them but I really remember the kinetic objects that were made and the videos of them bouncing around. I immediately made a monster. I used the extenders to make the body and I used stuff around the house to make the rest. If I remember correctly, nothing was actually ever done with any of the stuff people made for this. Life happened, Eric got busy, or moved, or whatever and nothing was ever posted. I figured that it was about time that these were shared with the world... because obviously the world was waiting with baited breathe for a foot tall sculpture that I made in 2007 out of junk. Anyway... I still have this little guy in my office today, 11+ years later. While you are looking at the Trash Golem Scout notice the background, it is our yard from early 2007 (more on this below)...

Trash Golem Scout
Mixed media
© 2007 Christopher Burdett

I hope you noticed the yard in the image above. I know it might be a little hard to get a feel for things, but you should at least get a glimpse at what things were like. Jump ahead 11+ years and the following images should show you the progression of time and all the hard work Dear Wife has put into the yard. We have never taken the progress photos that we should have, but occasionally there will be a happy accident where the yard shows up in images and you can see just how much it has changed. Not sure how many people will find this interesting, but I think it is really really neat.

Dear Wife's jungle that she made with a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.

That's all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment