Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fretwork Colony - MtG - Kaladesh

As mentioned on Monday, the entire set of Kaladesh, the newest expansion to Magic the Gathering, was spoiled last week which means I can now share all of my cards coming out in this set. I have previously shared the Salivating Gremlins and Narnam Cobra. Today I am sharing the last of the three cards featured in Kaladesh. I present you with the Fretwork Colony...

Fretwork Colony
Magic the Gathering - Kaladesh
14 x 10.2- Digital
© 2016 Wizards of the Coast

A swarm of insects, both neat and challenging to create all at the same time. I was tasked with designing and illustrating these weevil-like creatures as they devour and destroy some buildings. I was a little uncertain about this piece when it was all said and done, but looking back at it now, I think it definitely gets the job done. I will share more about this piece in the fullness of time when I break down the process and steps. A HUGE thanks goes out to Cynthia Sheppard for the Fretwork Colony assignment!

While the final for this piece was digital, the original drawings associated with this piece will debut at Illuxcon 2016 the week of Oct 19 - 23. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in making an offer ahead of time. Prints will be available soon and artist proofs will be available once the set is released and I receive them. Here is a look at the final card version of the Fretwork Colony...
Fretwork Colony in handy dandy card form

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment