Monday, August 15, 2016

Gen Con 2016 Recap - Day 1

My recap of Gen Con 2016 continues with some of the happenings in the Artist Alley during Day 1. I shared some thoughts about my overall experience at Gen Con 2016 on Friday, if you missed it.

With most of the recent Gen Cons that I have attended I see less and less of Gen Con and more and more of the Art Show. While I am focused on being at my table and interacting with the public, I do try to make some sort of attempt to see the show. Not so much this year. When I was not talking to folks about my art I was signing cards and drawing for people. To be frank, in years past I have had some really log stretches of idle time at Gen Con, but this was not the case this year. It felt like I was always doing something and when I had a pause in my day it was a welcome respite and not an anxious gap in interested people at my table. If I was not drawing Pokemon the entire weekend my persecution of things might be a little different, but thankfully I thought up my Pokemon experiment and it paid off. All four days of Gen Con flew by. When the convention opened on Thursday morning I thought to myself, "Here goes four great long days of Gen Con", I blinked my eyes and it was Sunday night. While I didn't miss the anxious slow gaps in people, it would have been nice to see a *little* of the show. At least there are the evenings to catch up with friends!

Here are some images that more or less make up my experiences of Day 1 of Gen Con 2016...

The booth is all set and it is time to start Gen Con!

Standing at my table, I look to the right to see Ralph Horsley.

Over the wall, there is some more folks I know. Hi Scott Murphy, hi Owen Weber!

Directly behind me you will find Tyler Walpole, Chris Seaman, and a threatening Steve Prescott.

Got to see my Chaac painting in print for the first time!

I drew a beholder in a sketchbook.

Signed some older L5R cards.

The Pokemon floodgates opened... starting things off, an Eevee...

...a Ponyta...

...and the first Tyranitar.

Signed a few Magic cards.

Drew another Beholder, this time it is on a sketch card and in color.

Scribbled in a creatura libri 6, actually, I scribbled in a couple, but I FORGOT to take pictures of them all...

Magikarp on the back of an Ancient Carp.

Togepi showed up at Gen Con.

Another sketch card, this time a dragon... RAWR!

Jeff Miracola brought a painting to work on during the show.

I present to you, a liquidized Giggly Puff...

That is all for anther exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here tomorrow! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment