Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Decay - Kaijudo - Process

Today I have for you the process and steps that went into one of my paintings that I created for the now cancelled game, Kaijudo. While I only worked on the game a short time it was a lot of fun and I was sad to see it go. The painting I will be talking about today depicts a very bad day for an unfortunate Beastkin. Here is the final painting for Decay...

"Decay"
Kaijudo - Vortex
11.3 x 9
Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Decay focuses on a spiked Beastkin getting a very bad touch from an attacker that is mostly out of frame. The touch and spreading corruption was key and needed to be very clearly depicted. I got to work on some thumbnails to play around with the cropping and how "in the action" production wanted the image. Here are how the thumbnails turned out...

Decay - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

I really liked option "A" but I had a really strong feeling that production would be interested more in option "C". Turns out "C" was the winner. "C" is the over all strongest thumbnail... but my tastes and esthetics lean toward "A". Now that I had an approved thumbnail it was time for the drawing...

Decay - Drawing
12 x 9 - Pencil on paper
Original for sale over on my web store!
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The drawing was approved without any notes and I was approved to get started on the final painting. The Kaijudo pieces allowed me to work a bit more colorful and playfully. Bright and shiny was the Kaijudo way. I had actually planned on taking the leap into painting traditionally a little sooner then I eventually did. I was gearing up to do one or more of my next Kaijudo assignment in real paint... but sadly that next set go cancelled before assignments went out. My leap into traditional paint was subsequently delayed by several months. ...oh what could have been. The painting for Decay came together very quickly...

Decay - Process Progression
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Like magic the painting comes to life. It is interesting to look back at my digital work now that I have not painted digitally in a while to see how it compares to what I am doing with paint. The striking similarities and the distinct differences. I see a lot of my late stage tweaks in my digital work are usually addressed earlier in the process when I paint traditionally. The details come earlier and easier in my digital work. Pluses and minuses and pros and cons on both sides... but at the end of a traditional painting I have an actual painting.

As an added bonus here is a handy dandy animated process thingy to better show the process and creation of the painting...

Decay - Animated Process
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Here again is the final painting for Decay and the card form of the art. I am really happy with how the Kaijudo cards printed. The longer I worked digitally the better I was able to ensure I had an image that looked good printed. I will now have to figure out the same for my traditional work. I know I making actual paintings that I am happy with their appearance, but I don't know how they look printed. I will know soon enough and then will adapt if needed.

"Decay"
Kaijudo - Vortex
11.3 x 9
Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Decoy in handy dandy card form (and don't forget the artist proofs!)

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment