Friday, October 25, 2013

Edge of the Empire - AT-PT - Process

Last month I shared with you my contribution to the Edge of the Empire core book. Today I have for you the process that went into the second of those two pieces... the AT-PT. Like the Barabel Enforcer, this piece is a little old by current standards, I worked on this during May of 2012. Just so we are all the same page, here is how the the final AT-PT turned out...

AT-PT
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

This piece got the usual treatment of a reference shoot followed by some thumbnails. The assignment for this piece was to show the AT-PT walker and a couple Trandoshan hunters out on in a jungle. The piece was about the walker... I of course informed my art director that by giving me this piece I would HAVE to make it about the Trandoshans. She understood and gave me her blessing. I could not simply make an illustration about a big dumb walker when there were two super awesome lizard aliens to paint! In fact, these were the first Trandoshans ever assigned to me, so it was a big deal. So with all that in mind and NO pressure to make some cool Trandoshans, I got to work on some thumbnails...

AT-PT - Thumbnails
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

I think I was really excited about option "C" if I remember correctly... so option "A" was picked and I was given the green light to move forward. As promised... here is some of the reference shots that went into this piece. More images of an idiot running around in the yard with plastic weapons... scaring the neighbors... freaking out the squirrels...

AT-PT reference ...or, some idiot in the yard with toy guns

Now that I had an approved thumbnail and plenty of reference it was time to draw me some Trandoshans. I still have not been able to find any of my old Star Wars drawings. I hope they are not all lost to the ages. Anyway, here is how the final drawing for the AT-PT turned out, it was approved without revisions...

AT-PT - Drawing
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

With all the steps completed and approvals received it is now time to paint. As mentioned above, since this piece is from May 2012 which means it was put together in an outdated fashion. It does not include the value and chroma buildup that you have seen in all my process post from work completed after June 2012. It is still fun to see the piece come together all the same, here is the AT-PT taking shape in six easy steps...

AT-PT - Process
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

I believe this piece was approved without revision and was very well received by production. So well received in fact that it was one of the preview art pieces used when the game was announced on the FFG website last year. Here is how the final turned out again for your viewing pleasure (RAWR!)...

AT-PT
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

As an added bonus, here again is the toned paper drawing that I did that was inspired by my work on this piece...

Trandoshan Hunting Party
9 x 12
colored pencil on toned paper
Original "AT-PT" sketch © 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment