Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Blufferfish - Magic: the Gathering - Unfinity

I have been waiting a long time to share this new Magic the Gathering art! Before the Monstrous War-Leech and the Bribe Taker, I created this piece, but as sometimes will happen, there were delays in the project, and what was to be the first of a three-card run has ended up the last of a three-card run. Now that Magic the Gathering: Unifinity is finally coming out, I can share the mighty Blufferfish. I was asked to depict a pufferfish-like creature swollen and working for the crowds. It needed to have glowing bits and a little attitude. This called for some very unflattering self-portrait reference images (that I will possibly share when I do the process post for this piece). I present to you the Blufferfish.

Blufferfish
Magic the Gathering - Unfinity
14 x 10.27 - Digital
Art Director - Dawn Murin
 © 2022 Wizards of the Coast

I had more time in my schedule when this piece rolled around, so not only did I have time for a tonal study, I was able to spend more time on the drawing and fully render it. A keen eye might notice a change between the drawing and the tonal study. I will share more about this when I do the process post.

Blufferfish - Drawing
Magic the Gathering - Unfinity
14 x 11 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Dawn Murin
Original - SOLD
 © 2022 Wizards of the Coast

Blufferfish - Tonal study
Magic the Gathering - Unfinity
14 x 11 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Dawn Murin
Original - SOLD
 © 2022 Wizards of the Coast

In the coming weeks (or months), I will share the steps and process of making this piece. Until then, here is a look at the final card.

Blufferfish in handy dandy card form.

That's all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here after Hurricane Ian! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment