Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Infected by Art 7 and Spectrum 26

It is art annuals season! As I prepared for Illuxcon, I received my copy of Spectrum 26, and while at Illuxcon, I received my copy of Infected by Art 7. For this year's submissions, I only submitted works from The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia, and the Bazaar did not fail me, finding a place in both Infected by Art and Spectrum. Here are some images of my work in these two publications.

Infected by Art 7

 Hollow Alley received a full page and reproduced beautifully.

Spectrum 26 marks the first time I have been accepted into this publications. After ten years of submitting I made it in with a piece from my book. I have many opinions regarding Spectrum, its place within the greater art community, and the importance artist (especially young artists) place on the book. I don't really want to rehash it all, I have shared some of it here on the blog before. I will say that now that I have been accepted into it my feelings for myself or my work remain unchanged from those before I was accepted. For most of the morning they announced those accepted I had thought I had once again not be included and I was completely fine with it and planned to no long submit. I find solace that after all this time, the work selected was profoundly personal work from my book. That means something to me. The Spectrum box is checked off, and I have no further plans to submit. Maybe in the coming years as I produce some new work for my next two books I will submit some of the large complex pieces I have planned.

Spectrum 26
Strange how clearly I remember when Spectum 1 came out. It had a James Gurney cover and I was working at a comic book store at the time. The store owner made a huge deal about the book, about how important it was and the work within. It took me a quarter century, but I finally made it - not that I needed to.

 Blink and you might miss it.

Quarter page printing of Sunken Stalls. With the original being 16x20 I never imaged it being this small, but it still holds up.

That's all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday!  Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment