Friday, June 23, 2017

Looking Back: Illuminati Pyramid - Draemblade

Today I am looking back at another Dreamblade miniature design that I have never shared before here on the blog. More and more I am surprised just how many pieces from earlier in my career just never made it onto this blog. I will be doing my best to correct this. Anyway... Here is the design for the Illuminati Pyramid which was part of the second expansion set to Dreamblade, Chrysotic Plague, released back in 2007...

Illuminati Pyramid
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

To my memory, I think this piece was the most straight forward miniature that I had to design for Dreamblade. I got the assignment, did a single drawing, and I was done. I had other one and done concepts in Dreamblade, but this one required the least amount of effort on my part to make it happen. Here is the art order for the Illuminati Pyramid...
"Location. Instead of stone, the pyramid sides are composed of a mass of pale arms with bloody fingernails, and the eyes (one on each side) are bigger than shown in the standard depiction of this icon."
Production supplied a bunch of reference and the piece designed itself. I was actually a little concerned with how quickly and easily it went. It seemed to all work out in the end... since there were not changes and the piece was approved for full turnaround. Here is how the full turnaround for the Illuminati Pyramid turned out...

Illuminati Pyramid Turnaround
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Not sure how much more I have to share about this one. It needed to be a pile of arms in the shape of a pyramid with large eyes on all four sides. Done and done. I did make an effort to give the eyes different emotions on the different side, because reasons. Here is how the production miniature turned out for the Illuminati Pyramid...

Illuminati Pyramid Miniature

That's all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday!  Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment