Monday, June 23, 2014

Ree-Yees

While I had others to blame for Cad Bane, this time around it is complete my fault that that I made a Ree-Yees painting. Ree-Yees is one of the MANY aliens seen in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi that I have been in love with for the last... 31 years (can that be right?). It was only a matter of time that I produced a piece featuring a Gran, but I figured I would cut to the chase and make myself that is based on Ree-Yees. Here is my portrait of Ree-Yees wandering around on Tatooine or perhaps Kinyen...

"Ree-Yees"
  5 x 7 - acrylic and pencil on board
Original - SOLD
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Why am I making these little Star Wars portraits? Because I want to. I can say that it is to better improve my traditional skill set... but these pieces are really for me and satisfy an aspect of my creative impulse that I have ignored for a long time. Don't try to read to much into it. Even though I am working at 5 x 7 for my final I have continued to work much larger for the initial drawing. I just draw better at 9 x 12 at least, if not larger, so the  drawing for this painting is nice and big...

Ree-Yees - Drawing
9 x 12
Pencil on paper
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

As with the rest of my traditional pieces I have tried my best to document the process. I am still very much trying to find my way while working traditionally, so this is as much for me to reflect on how the painting went as it is for you to judge me and laugh... or learn, I guess that is an option too. Here is a bunch of images of Ree-Yees taking shape...

All images © 2014 Christopher Burdett

Here is another handy dandy animated gif of all those images so you can look at them all at once...

Ree-Yees - Process progression

Is the animated gif not enough? Here are a couple of other photos I took along the way while working on this piece...

My workspace before I began to paint... I think I covered up all the secrets...

The dashing model posing with the finished painting.

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment